Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Unleash The Thighs


Well, its taken 24 years... no, actually there is a great picture of me when I'm about 3 strutting around in a one-piece with ruffles and a butt covered in sand. I didn't care then that my skin was 4 shades paler than everyone else's or notice that my thighs selfishly grab more than their fair share of the fat on my body. But shortly thereafter I began the maneuvering of bathing suits: endlessly searching for suits with shorts for the bottoms and buying them even though the tops were totally ugly, or finding board shorts to wear over the suit and being the uncomfortable fat girl who wears clothes to swim in. Well, I've had enough.

I am tired of having a sun burn that goes half way up my leg. I am sick of laying around in uncomfortable soggy cloth as I lay by the pool. I mark today as independence day for my white legs and not-so-small butt cheeks. I have officially bought a bathing suit with regular bottoms. Its time to stop caring that my inner thighs touch and rub together when I walk.

I have spent years fantasizing about the sexy bathing suits I would wear when I had tight abs and carved legs, or when my skin miraculously started getting tan. I could just see the sun bouncing off the oiled muscles in my calves as I walked around the pool. I would put on some of those big "I'm so hot there's no way I would ever even give you a chance" sunglasses and just lounge around in my hottness. But you know, I'm almost 25 and I still haven't gotten close to that body. I could have potentially passed my hot-peak and my butt still jiggles when I walk and I've never had that perfect tight crease in the cheeks right below the cut of a suit.
Damn that crease.

So, instead of crying about it, which the 15, 16, and 17 year old version of myself has actually wasted time doing, I've decided to shed the shorts and cellulite hiding wrap and smile at the girls with the strings holding their suits together as my thighs rub on my way around the pool. I can admire the brown tint of their skin and continue to hope that someday my freckles will completely connect so I too might look so good. For now, I'm gonna try to jump in and out of the pool with freedom and lay with both legs flat on my chaise lounge, I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

STEVEN said...

You are silly, billy. I will swim with you...and not laugh...a lot.

Daniel said...

i know it's not a poem, but
snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap
(those are the sounds of my fingers snapping.

Callen "Lewis by Trade" Cooney said...

There is just more of you to love Bets

Rach said...

nice touch with the picture add.

Jimmy, Diane and Bentley said...

Bets, I'm so proud! There's nothing wrong with a little jiggle, I've found that out with my not-hot new bod! You must have forgotten though of the "hotness" of our teenage years, lounging by the pool and eating Hot Pockets. Truly classic. And hot.