Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Birthday Time


Yep, my birthday is coming. 25. Rachel tells me the amount of gray hair growth has obviously increased since turning 25 last August and Julia says she woke up on the day of her big 25 to dark Seattle rain and has not recovered since. Sounds fun, right? While I am trying not to feel bad that at 25 I'm still working on my undergrad, not yet written a best selling book or even a decent poem and (no matter how optimistic I have been) the world hunger thing is still an issue, I am going to welcome 25 with open arms.

There has been some great Betsy Bday parties through the years: the hay maze at the pig farm when I turned 6,

Skate King extravaganza at 8,

sweet 16 lady luncheon... And now, the Unicef 25!

I've been thinking a lot lately about what I can be doing now, before I have much cash or time or influence, to make some small dent in the issues that the world is facing. In my small amount of traveling I've seen poverty and hopelessness as well as resilience and goodwill. Call me self centered but I do believe that one person can make a difference. I do think that poor college students can do something. The Unicef club at BYU has been busy fundraising and trying to get the word out about some of the stuff that Unicef is doing and I think it is great.

So, I'm having a dual purpose event at my place on Oct 11 - Help me feel happy about turning 25 and raise a little money and hopefully a bit more awareness about some of the things that Unicef is doing. Please come. Even if you don't have any money to contribute still come, read some of the info that will be there, think about it, and then battle Nancy at Dance Dance Revolution (she's unbeatable), eat a burger, and hang out.

Saturday Oct 11 - 7:30pm
Foxwood II apts
840 N. 100 W. #12 in Provo

I can't wait to see you!

5 comments:

Callen "Lewis by Trade" Cooney said...

Don't worry I am 23 and have to dye my hair all the time now because I am going so gray. And I do think you will help change the world....you already have in a lot of ways

Idaho Rob said...

Count your blessings that you dont have to worry about balding...You can dye gray, but bald there is no hope

Unknown said...

the bald guy's got a point. and i haven't gotten a facebook invite. therefore, i am both insulted and not coming. don't worry that 25 is a quarter of a century, meaning most likely at least a quarter of your life is over. it's no big deal.

STEVEN said...

I am so excited! Wahoooo.

Lauri Wells said...

you're so awesome betsy! Happy birthday by the way! i too think one person can make a difference and im with you, both in the 25 year club, and the continual struggle to make that difference. love you!